Wednesday, November 5, 2008

PLN 8

I tried reading some different things from the blogs I’m subscribed to, but I didn't really find anything appealed to my interest. So I decided to reflect on something that happened to me earlier. Today I stayed after school so I could make up some of my quizzes. My teacher was in a meeting until 3, so my friend, Pari and I went to LIFEspot to hang out with our friends. While we were standing in front of LIFEspot an owner from a surrounding business came out and yelled at us. She told us that other people were intimidated by us. The thing I didn’t understand was why she would come out and yell at us for just standing there and talking. I started to get mad because I hadn’t done anything wrong. So I told her it was my right as a citizen of the United Starts to be able to stand and talk. Then she threatened to call the cops on us. And I admit, this probably wasn’t the smartest thing to do, but I was pretty pissed off, so I told her to go ahead and call the cops, and they could settle the agurement. In the end she didn’t actually call the cops, but we did leave because we had to go make up our quizzes. Though, later when we came back there were other people doing the exact same thing we had done. Just standing and talking in front of LIFEspot. The lady that had yelled at us walked by them several times and didn’t say a word. So I began to wonder what the difference was between my group of friends and the people were standing and talking. Then I saw that they way my friends and I dress and look compare nothing to what the other kids looked like and dressed. So the lady yelled at us because we didn’t look the way she wanted us too. Which brings me to my basic point: there is so much discrimination amongst the world on the why people look and dress. This connects to “clicks” because each “click” has a different look to it. I’m not one to label people, in fact I hate labels. I think it is extremely wrong to judge a person by how they look. I know kids that look like they would have straight A’s and wouldn’t get into any trouble, but really their failing their classes, and they have a record. Then I know people that look like they cause trouble all the time and fail every single class. But in reality they are a genius and are at the top of their class. It is ridiculous that we are judged by the way our hair is cut, how our make-ups done, and the type of cloths we were. All it is is different styles. And by having different styles it just proves that not every person is the same; that people have different tastes because they are different. And the “clicks” are just a group of people that get along because they have some of the same interests. I am friends with many different “clicks” and I may not look like every one of them. Independence and difference is what makes us who we are. We can’t just all be the same; then the world would be boring and there would be no fun or excitement. Why should it matter if I dress differently then someone else? Why should it imply that I’m a horrible kid that’s damned to hell? Why should it imply that I get horrible grades, and I’m not a good kid?

No comments: