Tuesday, November 4, 2008

PLN 7

I decided to not read something online for my seventh PLN. Sure, there are some good articles to read, but I thought about something today that I think is a good enough topic. It's about how we are so attached to technology. We rely on so much technology I began to wonder if we are capable of living without it. We use technology for everything. Cooking, communication, entertainment, learning, everything. Have you ever spent a whole week with touching a single thread of technology? Could you do it? I think that it's not so much people ranging in ages 30+, but morally teenagers. Have you ever heard the saying, "when it comes to technology, when in doubt, ask a teenager."? Many times an elder person will ask me how to work their simple phone, or how to send an email, or zoom in on a picture. Things I find simple is more than just confusing to elder people. My father asks me many times to teach him how to attach a document to an email or even change the font size. If I do say so, it's rather pathetic how much the universe relays on technology. We use TV and internet to entertain ourselves when we are bored; whatever happened to getting up and going outside to play so basketball? We use cell phones, email, texting, instant message, and land lines to communicate with each other; what happened to just writing a letter with pen and paper? We use stove tops, toasters, ovens, and microwaves to cook; what happened to a good old fire? We learn for the internet (that's not always right); what happened to books? Sure, I admit that I use just as much technology as the next person. But are they thinking about it? Today I raked leaves with my mother, but to get the job done quicker we got a leave blower. Which is technology. Technology is a very good tool and helps a lot. But if you think about it, if there wasn't all this technology, then our electric bills wouldn't be so high, in fact we wouldn't have electric bills at all. But then again, if we didn't have electricity then there wouldn't be as much money in the world because consumers wouldn't have so many things to invest in. Or would there be more money in the world because people wouldn't invest so much money into new inventions? I find sense in either explanation.

No comments: